Monday, 12 July 2010

A Pulse-Racing Lunch

My new job is in Central and finding a place for lunch at a decent price is going to be a challenge.

So I thought I was smart in finding a small eatery along the Mid-Levels escalator called Droplet that has a limited menu of sandwiches, soups, pasta and desserts.

I ordered one of the lunch specials, the soup of the day which was chicken and vegetable, and a tuna sandwich on toasted whole wheat bread HK$44 ($5.66).

The restaurant is a small area, with padded stools inside and outside diner style. It seemed quaint and a neat neighbourhood place with reasonable prices.

The soup seemed pretty good, with cabbage, carrots and chunks of chicken spiced with pepper in it. But after I finished the soup, my lips started to itch and swell up. I didn't think too much of it and ate the tuna salad sandwich that included tomatoes and lettuce.

However, my face started to feel flush and thought perhaps some yogurt would calm things down. Across the street at Smooch I ordered a frozen yogurt with homemade granola and three fruit toppings, strawberry, blueberry and pineapple (HK$36/$4.63).

Despite trying to cool down with this delectable treat, my face was still red, as if I had just worked out at the gym, and my heart rate was racing. It took hours for my body to finally calm down from what was probably an adverse reaction to MSG or something in the soup.

Suffice to say I won't be going back to Droplet anymore and will continue my hunt for a decent-priced lunch place in Central.

Stay tuned.

Droplet
45-47 Shelley Street
Central
2581 2128

Smooch
23 Hollywood Road
Central
2891 8728

2 comments:

  1. aiyah! forgotten about all the MSG in everything! hope you're feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  2. why not pack you own lunch ? it is cheap and healthy. no need to rush.

    ReplyDelete