Monday, 30 August 2010

The Joys and Perils of a Walkable City

What I like about Hong Kong is that everything is pretty much accessible by public transit or walking.

Just a few minutes' walk and you are in another district.

However, it really sucks when you have an injury, and in my case a pulled calf muscle -- which reminds me I need to ice it.

OK I'm back with the ice.

Now instead of walking briskly through the streets, I'm shuffling along, or limping along more like it, and getting around is a real drag.

I have have to rely on the tram to get to work, when before it would take me 15 minutes to walk there, though I have to admit, there was less perspiration involved with transit.

It seems that I pulled my calf muscle over a week ago and thought it was fine and then yesterday afternoon as I ran across the intersection because the light was about to turn red, I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my leg and I grimaced and yelped.

So now I'm sidelined from cardiovascular exercises for a while until my leg gets better. I'd just signed up for a year-long membership at a gym and was intending to use it as much as possible. But now it looks like I won't be doing any swimming or running for a while...

Rats.


2 comments:

  1. make sure it is not an achilles tendon rupture.cs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so... just think it's a pulled muscle... trying to rest it as much as possible. Hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete