Sunday, 26 September 2010

The Eat Right Challenge

A friend of mine is challenging me to eat better.

I already don't eat fast food, or much processed food, and on the whole eat a good portion of vegetables and fruits every day. But apparently this isn't enough.

And being in Hong Kong, where I love to eat ha gao (steamed shrimp dumplings), won ton noodles, and the obligatory white rice with meals, this is a serious test in resisting temptation.

Let's face it -- I'm not getting any younger, though many ask for beauty secrets and the secret potions I use.

I chalk it down to eating healthy (at least what I used to think was healthy), lots of water, exercise and at least six hours of sleep.

But now my friend is telling me to ramp up the exercise -- to do more interval training to get my body working harder in shorter periods of time, more strength training, but also to eat right -- all the time.

Sadly I have stopped eating my favourite won ton noodles that have a chewy texture that I love, or the fish balls I only dreamed about when I was in Beijing. I tried cutting down the one bowl of white rice to half, but my friend says no. "Eating white rice is like eating sugar," he said.

He is right, but almost all people who call themselves Chinese need to eat rice!

Unfortunately he doesn't buy this argument and insists that I need to take better care of my body.

This means preparing my own food. Every day.

For over about two years I've been eating oatmeal everyday with fruit, and an egg, or two on the weekends.

These days I finish work and head to the gym for an hour, come home and have some lentil soup I've prepared ahead of time, that has tomatoes, celery, carrots, squash, garlic, onion and ham.

My friend thinks my weakest meal is lunch, since that's when I'm eating noodles or rice, and not choosing more healthy options.

He doesn't buy my excuse that time is of the essence and I don't have time to prepare lunch every day.

So starting from tomorrow I'll be schlepping my lunch to work and we'll see how good it tastes.

I made a salad of cannellini beans, carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, quinoa and roasted squash with olive oil and lemon juice. It's a huge batch so I'll be eating that all week. I also have some yogurt in small containers and granola I made myself yesterday to bring as a snack.

The salad can be topped with avocado too if I remember to cut it up in the morning... so we'll see how long this lasts but more importantly if there are any results!




2 comments:

  1. yes rice is the main cause of increased incidence of diabetes in orientals and s.e. asians as this is their main stable food. it is also true that sedentary life style also contributes to it. diet and exercise are the main managements. but few people can adhere to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good start! I also eat only the food I cook myself 99% of the time coz then you can control the ingredients and make sure they're good for you. Eating right actually involves more than just eating what is commonly know as "healthy food" ... it means eating right for your particular blood type. Yes, one man's food is another's poison and it has been proven to be scientifically true--under the microscope. Check out the book "Eat Right 4 Your Type" by Dr. Peter D'Adamo/visit the website http://www.dadamo.com
    I promise you'll surprised and challenged :)

    ReplyDelete