Monday, 20 December 2010

Charlie Brown's Christmas in Hong Kong

Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown
Christmas is less than a week away and I'm happy to say for the most part I have managed to avoid the craziness in the malls.
I also opted out of mailing Christmas cards this year to avoid the long line at the Post Office, though early on Saturday morning the line was very short. So Merry Christmas, everyone.
Yesterday I went to visit a friend I haven't seen in months to drop off a Christmas present and we had a good time catching up.
And we rounded off the afternoon watching -- what else -- A Charlie Brown Christmas.
We both hadn't seen it in decades which made it even more fun to watch.
I didn't quite remember the storyline -- only the part about the sad-looking Christmas tree and how it was fixed up in the end.
In the opening Charlie Brown looks as stressed out as an adult leading up to Christmas rather than excited like any other child which seems... so mature.
His sister Sally is hilarious when she asks Charlie Brown to help him write a letter to Santa Claus and he gets frustrated by her materialism.
"All I want is what I have coming to me," she says innocently. "All I want is my fair share."
The climax of the cartoon has strong religious tones, but not overtly so and it does make everyone realize the true meaning of Christmas.
The dialogue is still funny and relevant, but the next generation may not understand some of the cultural references. The cartoon is still quirky and the kids dancing on stage dance like we used to in high school.
And the music by Vince Guaraldi is still cool and refreshing, jazzy and upbeat.
So even though we were sitting in Hong Kong watching A Charlie Brown Christmas, it brought back memories of home, and of Christmases past.

1 comment:

  1. charlie brown's christmas has become a perrenial christmas classic much like 'white christmas' or 'the nutcracker' or the 'messiah'.

    ReplyDelete