Friday, 1 April 2011

Gone, but not Forgotten

Today after work I went to Central and on the way to the gym I passed by the Mandarin Oriental.

On the west side of the hotel wall were lots of flower arrangements that were set up and they had messages that proclaimed their love for Leslie Cheung or that they missed him.

People crowded the narrow sidewalk and either checked out the scene or paid some kind of tribute to the singer and actor who jumped to his death from the top floor of the Mandarin when he was at the gym exactly 11 years ago today.

When news first broke, at first it sounded like a cruel April Fool's joke, but it wasn't.

It was my first time seeing the amazing floral memorials there and sadly I didn't have my camera with me otherwise I would have taken a picture.

This was not about leaving a few flower stems on the sidewalk -- these were full-on giant flower arrangements of roses, orchids, lilies and other tasteful bouquets to remember an artist who tragically cut short his life for reasons unknown.

It was a good indicator that Cheung will not be forgotten anytime soon.




1 comment:

  1. what a loss - a talented young singer, actor entertainer cut short just at the peak of his career. though some say he was unable to accept his early decline. or even some rumored he had aids.

    ReplyDelete