Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Threatening Ambitions

Last week I had dinner with a friend who was telling me she was looking for a junior person for her department and asked me if I knew anyone suitable.

I couldn't think of anyone off the top of my head, but the conversation soon led to her experiences conducting job interviews with young people in Hong Kong.

Some candidates weren't shy about their ambitions. "When will I have your position?" more than one asked.

My friend immediately rejected these people as they had no interest in working as a team player and were only concerned about themselves.

But that's not all.

In more than one instance, the parents of the failed candidates called the human resources department, asking why their son or daughter did not get the job.

Excuse me?

I have friends who are teachers in high school who tell me some of their students' parents will call and demand to know why their child did not receive a higher grade.

That's already bad enough because it's really the parents' responsibility to make sure their child is studying and doing their homework. But now there are parents asking why their child did not get a job? When does it ever end?

This just demonstrates the extensive coddling that goes on, not just in Hong Kong but elsewhere too. The children are spoiled and the parents don't know how to discipline their children.

"Imagine this happening in China," my friend pointed out.

It was a frightening thought.




1 comment:

  1. there needs to be a good educational system for these young kids to learn the basic survival skill.

    ReplyDelete