Saturday, 25 June 2011

Homeward Bound

Just a quick note to say I'm now in Vancouver for a few days before heading to New York -- a place I haven't visited in over 20 years. I'm really excited to go back and see what it's like and compare it to Hong Kong.

The plane ride home was better this time around on Air Canada than Cathay Pacific -- the seats are bigger and more comfortable and overall less mainland Chinese on board. Though Hong Kong Chinese people can be very particular about things and fuss over the smallest details. One woman pleaded with another to exchange seats so that she could sit with her friends, but really in the end during the flight they each did their own things.

We did have lots of turbulence during the flight so we didn't have much of a chance to stretch our legs. The cabin crew must have been relieved at not having to serve us as much.

The food isn't as good as Cathay Pacific, but staff did come around frequently with water. The senior couple next to me kept asking for more drinks, say a glass of juice and one of water, or even asked for a whole can of Coke Zero. And I thought only young people drank that.

The in-flight entertainment is OK, more Canadian content which is fine, but not as much selection as Cathay Pacific. The ear buds are a drag and not very comfortable. We were all invited to take them with us as you have to pay for them on domestic and short-haul flights. Thanks for the advice!

I miss the Hong Kong International Airport efficiency when it comes to unloading luggage -- by the time I came out of immigration which was fast today, I had to wait quite a while for my suitcases and part of the reason is because the carousel wasn't even running when I got there and one of the luggage belts bringing the bags up onto the carousel wasn't working. Luckily one mechanic did eventually fix the problem and then soon most of us were able to leave the area in droves.

I wish I took a picture of the skyline today -- beautiful blue skies and fluffy white clouds though I was told there was heavy rain this morning. I would have never known.

2 comments:

  1. Have a terrific time in both YVR and NYC! A big hug to your cuz for me. Hope you get some great sightseeing in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fyi....air canada's ad this morning on the vancouver sun.. says it was voted the best airline in north america. believe it.

    ReplyDelete