Monday, 6 February 2012

Empty Boasts

Chief Executive candidate Henry Tang Ying-yen's popularity has dropped according to a survey released on Friday. There's a difference of 19.5 percentage points from his rival Leung Chun-ying, an increase of 6.3 percentage points from two weeks ago.

The poll was conducted by the University of Hong Kong where Leung was at 46.9 percent, Tang at 27.4 percent and Albert Ho Chun-yan of the pan-democrats at 8 percent.

Perhaps Tang's fall in the survey has to do with his reluctance not to participate in a public debate with his two other rivals?

However he prefers to shift the blame on his former employer -- the Donald Tsang Yam-kuen administration.

As Tang served as Chief Secretary for nine years, he feels that the popularity drop is attributed to the government's performance.

"I can sympathize. I can understand," said Tang yesterday. "Because the public feels there are inadequacies with the government which can be improved."

However he still insists he has a transparent track record.

"I am the most transparent candidate," he added. "All the records on my previous service can be found. I have been under media scrutiny, too. I can be held accountable for all my previous policy-making decisions."

The media pressed him again about his reluctance in participating in a head-to-head public debate with his rivals despite his self-proclaimed transparency; he replied: "I have my own timetable in [debating and rolling out manifestos]."

The response screams "pathetic" and "procrastinator".

If his popularity plunges again next week what excuse will Tang have this time?

Meanwhile Leung has admitted he doesn't yet have the 150 nominations required to officially join the race.

"Some political groups have not made their decisions on their nominations," he said yesterday. "But I hope to win the race with a landslide victory."

He later said during an ATV interview, "I am very confident I would win if there was universal franchise."

While it's quite boastful of Leung to believe he would win if every adult citizen could vote, this is Hong Kong where only 1,200 people will decide who the next chief executive is.

So he better hurry up and secure enough nominations otherwise he won't even get a chance to officially run at all.

Sounds pretty straight forward to me unless I'm missing something?

No comments:

Post a Comment