Tuesday, 18 December 2012

HK Fare Before You Fly

Noodles with shrimp topped with shrimp roe at Tsui Wah
I don't go to Hong Kong International Airport often, but I seem to find many of the eateries coming and going, which makes me wonder if they don't offer decent fare or the menu doesn't appeal to travelers. It's a tall order because the clientele are truly international and it's hard to know exactly what they want to eat.

For groups of people Crystal Jade on the arrival level is a good option, and I've even indulged in deep-fried chicken at Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits with a friend who was hankering for the heart-stopping food. But it's perhaps a serious misnomer because there was no spinach -- no vegetables in any case -- to be seen here.

Food at Starbucks is not very satisfying unless java is a food group, and McDonald's hardly hits the spot.

The menu seems to look like those in other Tsui Wah outlets
In any event, the other day I was early for my flight because it was delayed and I wanted a quick bite to eat.

So I was surprised to find my default dining option of Maxim's was closed for renovations, but across from there was Peak Lookout even though it was no where near Victoria Peak.

The menu seemed to feature lots of Western and Asian snack items -- including poutine -- but the dishes were much more expensive than what I had in mind.

And lo and behold, next door was a new Tsui Wah Restaurant cha chaan teng and I walked in.

As the space is perched on the second floor close to the undulating roof of the airport, the eatery takes on the theme of an outdoor dining area complete with metal chairs, lamp posts and eclectically-chosen tiled floors.

I don't know the regular menu well, but the airport outlet seemed to have most of the dishes available.

My order of XO sauce with noodles, shrimp and shrimp roe came relatively quickly and was relatively satisfying. The noodles were mixed with soy sauce and the shrimp were crunchy; the only complaint would be only one stalk of choi sum.

An airy atmosphere that inspires an outdoor cafe
Another minor fault was the iced lemon tea was heavy on the ice and it was a muddy-looking drink which is usually the case in cha chaan tengs that don't have separate kettles for tea and milk tea.

Oh and be sure to bring enough cash or enough money on our Octopus card.




4 comments:

  1. I love the crispy buns drizzled with condensed milk and the Hong Kong style French toast at Tsui Wah -- but think they'd be too sweet for you! ;b

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I don't eat them both in a single meal! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I think you'd have a sugar overdose after that!

    ReplyDelete