Friday, 26 July 2013

Crafty Fun

My first mosaic made last Friday evening
The company I work for periodically organizes social events for employees on evenings and weekends.

Most of the activities are sports related, such as volleyball, badminton, football (soccer), and even war games.

Gathering coloured tiles together and then arranging them
I wasn't particularly interested in them because I play badminton as if I'm playing tennis, I had my fill of volleyball during university, and definitely not into football or war games. But when there was an announcement about a mosaic class, I was keen to sign up.

And it turns out many others were too, so the organizers had to open a second class which I attended last Friday night.

It was held in a rented out classroom in a non-descript office building in Mongkok and all the attendees were women except for two men.

Carefully gluing each piece onto the frame
While the classroom next door was used for a magic class, we did some tricks of our own in creating crafty works of art from small broken tiles.

Before the class we had to choose what we'd like to do our mosaic on -- a round or rectangular wooden box or picture frame.

And before we started we had to think of a design using the coloured pieces in front of us. I had grand dreams of doing my piece de resistance for my first mosaic, but the materials we were given were small tiles that weren't particularly brilliant colours. Oh well. What do you expect for a HK$50 ($6.45) fee?

So I settled on a heart-shaped design to keep things simple. We first had to gather the coloured tile pieces we wanted to use for our design, and so I collected a combination of red and orange pieces. For the area around the heart, I picked out shades of blue, green, mauve, gray and white.

Pushing grouting in between the tiles
Then we placed them on our box lid or frame to see how they looked and then had the tedious task of gluing them with regular white school glue. After they were all attached (somewhat), we had to dry them using a hairdryer.

This was perhaps the most tedious part because we had to make sure they were completely dry and stuck on the wood, but this was not always the case as we found out in the final step.

Then our friendly instructors made batches of grouting for us and using our fingers, had to fill the gaps between the small tiles with the grouting.

It was a pretty messy step, and those fashion plates who had manicured nails weren't keen on getting their hands dirty and strangely disappeared... so the instructors picked up their pieces and helped finish them off which was too kind of them.

The finished product waiting for stuff to be put in it
When we had finished filling the cracks with grouting, we used a wet tissue to wipe the tiles clean again, another tedious process, but made the results of our work come out two and a half hours later. Before we left our instructors took pictures of our work and placed them in clear plastic bags for us to take home. I clutched mine in the rainy street and proudly admired my first mosaic on the bus ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment