Wednesday, 14 August 2013

One Cool Granny

A grandmother supports her grandson and hopes he finds a boyfriend
We love this story about a 90-year-old grandmother who has gone on camera to say she supports her gay grandson and hopes he'll find a boyfriend.

In the 36-second clip issued by PFLAG (Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays), the grandmother is seated in a wicker chair and holds up a sign that says: "We urge the legalization of gay marriages".

In a steady Fuzhou accent, the elderly woman says: "I am 90 years old. My grandson is gay. He is kind and mature. I hope he will find a boyfriend and live a happy life. And I hope our government supports him."



Her grandson, a 28-year-old engineer, was floored by her courage to speak out publicly. He explained that he came out to his parents last year and when they told his grandmother, it was she who calmed them down because they were less accepting of his sexual orientation than she was.

"I was raised by my grandmother, and I know she understands me more than my parents," he said.

That explains a lot, but it is also representative of his generation, where many young people were looked after by their grandparents and in turn have closer relationships with them.

Will this spark the winds of change in Beijing? If anything it's a great incremental start.

No comments:

Post a Comment