Sunday, 21 February 2016

Where to Eat: Kam's Roast Goose

The goodness that is roast goose at Kam's Roast Goose in Wan Chai
Tonight I met up with two friends from out of town. Both are retired, and one is from Vancouver who constantly travels the world on a budget.

And one of the things he likes to do is eat local food. The first place I thought of was Kam's Roast Goose, but you can't make a reservation. So I suggested we meet there at 5.30pm.

The small eatery is bustling with people waiting outside
But being retirees, they were already hanging out in the Wan Chai area at 4.30pm...

I managed to get there at 5.30pm and after a short wait we were seated.

The last time I was there was in November with a food writer friend visiting from California and her friend.

The three of us had the daily soup, half a roast goose, half a soy chicken and vegetables. We were so full we had to take the leftovers home.

But not this time.

We ordered half a roast goose, half a soy chicken, soy sauce-marinated tofu and vegetables.

The soy chicken here is excellent too
The friends from out of town were very impressed with both the goose and chicken, even saying it was better than Yung Kee. While the goose is quite fatty, the meat is very tender, while the chicken is flavourful and juicy.

We practically cleared both plates, though the table next to us demolished a whole goose in minutes.

I also like my bowl of lai fun, or round rice noodles. They're hard to pick up with chopsticks, but oh so good.

For the three of us, the early dinner cost HK$502 and boy were we full. And then I walked over to Causeway Bay to meet up for colleagues for a belated Chinese New Year dinner for round two...

Kam's Roast Goose
G/F, Po Wah Commercial Centre
266 Hennessy Road
Wan Chai
2520 1110


4 comments:

  1. Hi there --

    Definitely would agree that Kam's Roast Goose is better than Yung Kee. But still think that the Yat Lok over in Tai Po has the best roast goose in Hong Kong.

    Have yet to try the Yat Lok in Central. I guess that whenever I'm in that part of Hong Kong, I tend to be in the mood to eat something besides roast goose, however good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi YTSL -- I think you can guess who my two friends were tonight!

      Yat Lok is definitely one of my favourites, the one in Tai Po better than then one in Central... it's a small place so it has a fast-food atmosphere...

      Delete
    2. Hi again --

      Yup re those two friends... So the question is did they prefer the meal at Kam's Roast Goose or the one we had at Tai Wing Wah? ;b

      Delete
    3. We didn't compare it with Tai Wing Wah! But they were impressed by the goose and chicken!

      Delete