Thursday, 28 April 2016

Singapore's Curious Book Culture

Walking into Books Actually has a lot of books covering many genres
Today my cousin took us to an area called Tiong Bahru which is one of the oldest residential areas in Singapore.

And because the place is oozing with retro design, it's achingly hot now with hipsters.

The store carries many works by Singapore writers
One neat shop is Books Actually, one of the few independent booksellers in the Lion City.

The front part of the store is covered in books, many featuring Singaporean writers, or subject matter, including the political elections last year and random facts about the city. There are also classics like Jane Eyre, but also books on how to draw practically anything, and even poetry using Singlish.

At the back there's a curious treasure trove of random old school items, like beer glasses, rulers from China, even blank cassette tapes -- remember those? -- and I even saw stickers of animals with googly eyes from my youth.

It was so bizarre to see such an eclectic accumulation of things, but also was there a market for these items? Did people really buy them or was this a nostalgia corner for people to reminisce?

At the back are an odd assortment of "vintage" items
Books Actually
9 Yong Siak Street
Tiong Bahru Estate
Singapore
+65 6222 9195

3 comments:

  1. It's an outstanding bookstore. I'm a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Grant! Thanks for visiting my blog. My cousin introduced it to me and it definitely has a neat collection of books and other things!

      Delete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete