Sunday, 9 October 2016

One Less Deli in NYC

This famous New York deli will be closing its doors on December 31
The news came over a week ago but only now do I have time to write about it -- Carnegie's Deli in New York City is closing at the end of the year!

The second generation owner, Marian Harper Levine decided it's time for a break and announced the news to her staff on September 30.

"At this stage of my life, the early mornings to late nights have taken a toll, along with my sleepless nights and grueling hours that come with operating a restaurant business... I'm very sad to close the Carnegie Deli but I've reached the time in my life when I need to take a step back," she told the New York Post.

Inside the walls are covered with framed pictures of celebrities
While most locals didn't dine there -- it's mostly filled with tourists -- New Yorkers are sad to see the 79-year-old institution close soon.

Granted I have only been there once a few years ago when my New Yorker friends took me there for lunch, it was quite the dining experience.

The entrance is narrow and packed with customers. On the walls are framed pictures (some signed) of almost every celebrity you can think of from the Western hemisphere through the decades.

Inside the restaurant is quite deep and we sat near the back, with hardly any space between tables. We saw the very tall pastrami sandwiches and thought we could share, but there on the menu it warns customers are not to share and if they do, they will be charged more. There was also a minimum charge of US$12.50.

Enough pastrami for you? That's only half a sandwich!
This is the first I've heard of it and what's wrong with sharing?

In the end the three of us had two half sandwiches to doggie bag for dinner. The pastrami sandwiches were more on the fatty side, though I quite liked the matzo ball soup (the size of a tennis ball) in chicken broth.

If we could have shared the stacked sandwiches, we would have ordered dessert too. But the surly waiter (he was Chinese American!) was impatient and seemed to want us out of there so once we were finished eating, it was time to vamoose.

While Levine plans to keep the business going by licensing the name with outlets and products, it won't be the same without its New York eatery.





No comments:

Post a Comment