Saturday, 10 December 2016

Picture of the Day: Snake Soup

The thinned out snake soup at Tim's Kitchen was a disappointment
The temperatures these days aren't exactly freezing cold, but it is winter, which means it's the season for snake soup!

Last weekend I remembered I hadn't had snake soup yet, and being in the Sheung Wan neighbourhood, I decided to head to Tim's Kitchen to see if I could have a bowl.

It was after 7.30pm and the place wasn't as packed as it was before; I hadn't been back for a few years.

Nevertheless I ordered a bowl of snake soup (HK$138) and looked forward to the hearty concoction.

Soon it arrived in a mini clay pot, but more for presentation. The soup looked choc full of ingredients, but when I tried it, the soup was more diluted than what I remembered, and there was hardly a hint of mandarin peel, usually used to hide the snake meat smell.

Though a small portion, the braised pomelo skin is a winner
I also ordered another seasonal specialty -- braised pomelo skin with shrimp roe (HK$90). Now this dish was how I remembered last time. Portion-wise it's on the small side, but the skin was braised to the point where it practically melted in the mouth, and seasoned with the piquant flavours of the shrimp roe.

The dish uses a lot of shrimp roe sauce, so I got a bowl of rice to drizzle the sauce on top. It hit the spot.

While the snake soup wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped, the braised pomelo skin was a nice finish.

Tim's Kitchen
Shop A, G/F-1/F, 84-90 Bonham Strand
Sheung Wan
2543 5919

No comments:

Post a Comment