Monday, 10 May 2021

Picture of the Day: Roast Goose

Roast goose leg with thick rice noodles at Yat Lok
 

On Saturday I went to get a hair cut in Central and afterwards grabbed some lunch at the nearby well-known roast goose shop called Yat Lok (一乐). It's a small eatery and pre-pandemic there was always a line out the door or very busy.

Just before noon there was only a handful of people in there, and I could almost pick wherever I wanted to sit. I asked for the signature goose leg with thick rice noodles and within two minutes the hearty bowl arrived along with a glass of iced milk tea.

It was actually kind of sad to see the staff didn't have much to do, standing around, waiting to pounce on the next customer who walked in.

Over a year ago trying to snag a roast goose leg was not easy, but it seemed like no problem these days.

The roast goose itself was quite hearty and tender, but also to be honest quite fatty too. An expertly roasted goose would have hardly any fat between the skin and meat. For a quick lunch it's a bit on the expensive side (HK$128/US$16.50), but it's not every day you eat roast goose.

The hours put in to marinate and roast the goose is a lot of work, and then it's eaten in minutes. 

On the wall are the seven one-Michelin stars it has received since 2015, but are accolades enough to keep it alive?

Hopefully this shop will continue to stay open; I imagine it gets busy during the week with more people returning to their offices in Central, but to see it near empty on Saturday was worrying. 

Yat Lok

G/F, 34-38 Stanley Street

Central

2524 3882

 


No comments:

Post a Comment