Wednesday, 20 April 2022

The Final Farewell

Hong Kong's skyline is so famous, yet it has changed so much

After 836 days I am finally back home. The coronavirus pandemic prevented me from visiting -- or rather I should say it was the Hong Kong government's strict measures, from 21 days' hotel quarantine to a battery of tests after arriving, as well as the threat of flight bans that stopped me from flying.

But now I am home for good -- at least I think I am -- and sadly am relieved to be out of Hong Kong, the city I love so much.

Since the national security law was implemented on June 30, 2020, Hong Kong has irrevocably changed so much that it is hard to fathom the sweeping changes that happen almost on a daily basis. At one point people were being arrested daily. 

This is not normal.

A friend asked how Hong Kong was different from China. On the mainland you know where the red lines are, whereas in Hong Kong, they are constantly changing; what was something normal or done with regularity is suddenly banned and it's hard to anticipate what is next, or if you will be implicated because of where the red line is drawn.

So I have joined the tens of thousands of others in the mass exodus, saying goodbye to people I have known for years professionally and personally, for them feeling another pang of emptiness as yet another friend or relative leaves.

For me I didn't realise how much I had impacted their lives personally and professionally. They reminded me of the things I had done for them or experiences we had together that affected them so profoundly. It was good to hear I had made a meaningful contribution to their lives.

I also didn't realise how much stuff I had -- even though I had moved into a serviced apartment for the last few months, I still had bags and boxes of things I gave away to friends, charities, recycling and so on. I even dug out an old iPhone 3 and iPhone7 and took them to the nearby recycling centre. The security guard was so excited to see my iPhone7 that he claimed it right away and turned it on to make sure it worked. 

Hong Kong is the city where I started my career when I was a fresh graduate, unsure of what path I was going to take, but only knew that I was willing to work hard and see where I could go. I returned again in 2010 with an even greater appreciation for the city and what it offered.

But after 2014 and even more so after 2019, and the events that followed, this place will never be the same again, and many others feel the same way.

Hong Kong was known as a city of refuge from war and revolution, but now it is the place people are fleeing from to seek safety elsewhere.

I will continue to watch Hong Kong's developments from afar, but it is still close to my heart.

A friend has asked me to write a to-do list on how to exit Hong Kong, but after that, The Fragrant Harbour will end, and I will start another blog and will add the link.

Thanks for reading!

PS: Here is the new link: https://goodbyehkhelloyvr.blogspot.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment