Saturday, 23 February 2019

New Public Space in Admiralty

An intriguing green sculpture standing tall in Admiralty
Last night on my way to the jazz concert at the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, I had extra time to get there and decided to walk, as it's closer to Admiralty than Wan Chai.

I am where? Facing Harcourt Road in Admiralty
When I got to Admiralty, I walked north towards Admiralty Centre and then took a right to an elevated footpath going east. That took me to the new MTR station that who knows when will open, connecting to Sha Tin, and next to that is a newly-developed public space.

Unfortunately all public spaces are heavily programmed -- this one was no exception -- and users are forced to walk down a specific path though there are spindly trees along the path. Then it hit a giant steep stairway and down below looked like giant blocks on the ground.

On closer inspection they were indeed giant slabs of granite? But it wasn't explained where they were reclaimed from, and it would have been nice to know. They sat on top of a map of the area, but the blocks didn't have much meaning except randomly placed around.

A long stairwell to get to the Admiralty MTR station
This area was then joined to the walkway that I was looking for to get to the HKAPA in minutes. It's an interesting path, though I wouldn't want to climb back up those stairs again in the summer heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment