Sunday, 28 July 2019

Carrie Lam, Where Are You?

Hong Kong police fired numerous rounds of tear gas on protesters today
CARRIE LAM -- WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY CITY!

Hong Kong has turned into a war zone every week. For eight straight weeks people come out to protest peacefully because of what happened the week before and then afterwards clashes erupt between protesters and police.

Tear gas and pepper spray are now a common occurrence, and every week the violence escalates to result in blood letting and injuries. Is this really necessary?

WHY CARRIE, WHY?

Confusion in the Sheung Wan MTR on where people can go
Tonight I had a work assignment in Kowloon but then at 8pm the MTR made an announcement that trains would not be running from Sheung Wan to Kennedy Town. I tried to get a taxi and no one would go to Kennedy Town.

I took the MTR to Sheung Wan. As soon as the doors opened, we could smell the lingering smell of tear gas in the station and I covered my mouth and nose with my cardigan. At the turnstile to get out, there were lots of protesters in helmets advising passengers of which exit was safe to leave out of. Some even offered wet tissues to protect their mouths and nose.

TAXPAYER MONEY IS USED TO FIGHT TAXPAYERS

Walking along Queen's Road West in Sheung Wan there was garbage strewn on the streets but on the whole everyone was orderly. When I got to Sai Ying Pun things got tense. I walked down to Connaught Road West to where the Western Police Station is. It just happened that some officers in helmets and batons came out -- they were making sure the coast was clear for a police vehicle. And a colleague filmed the whole process too. Guess they had to "submit their homework" as the Cantonese slang goes.

Numerous police vehicles at Western Police Station
When I got to Connaught Road West, two police officers in full riot gear asked me where I was going. I said Kennedy Town. "Could you not take pictures here? We're conducting an operation," one said. I put the phone away, but not without snapping this picture after. So many police vehicles out in force to protect their own station when all the action is really in Sheung Wan and Central...

CARRIE MAKES US STRONGER

It took me about 35 minutes to walk home. I was able to burn off some calories from my dinner and get more exercise in, on top of the swim this morning. Ironically these protests have made residents get out more and move their feet. Last week the protest march from Victoria Park to Central was about 7.4km which was completed in 3 hours and 48 minutes. Then a few days later I ran the same distance on the treadmill in 55 minutes. 

But also every week because of what happens, people get so angry that they come out the following week to demonstrate their feelings. These protests have also made the community more cohesive with the policy of "let's go together". Seeing elderly people challenging the police is heartening, especially when they berate the police as being crazy for what they are doing.

PROTESTERS FIGHTING FOR HONG KONG

Protesters use umbrellas to protect themselves from tear gas
Since the government is no where to be seen, the protesters have no choice but to defend Hong Kong themselves -- from the police, who are becoming a lawless force unto themselves. Many don't wear their ID badges, hit or attack people who haven't provoked them, and like tonight, fire a lot of tear gas that should be shot in the air, not at people.

The protesters adapt very quickly and despite being leaderless, as a group they are fast, efficient and everyone works together for the same goal. Young people have nothing to lose in this battle for their home. They deserve security and opportunity and yet the government doesn't even give them hope, even though the next generation are our future.

CARRIE WHERE ARE YOU? STOP THIS INSANITY AT ONCE!

Police in riot gear close down Sai Ying Pun tonight
Only this chaos will end with Carrie Lam, as she is the one who started it. Everyone is breaking ranks with her and her government, and demanding she resolve the issue now. And yet she remains silent and out of sight. Oh wait I should correct that. She was spotted (unannounced) at a PLA barracks for the graduation ceremony of the Military Summer Camp for Hong Kong Youth. She even said: "Young people are the driving force of the development of Hong Kong."

The scenes we see playing out every weekend are absolutely surreal and apocalyptic. What is happening now could not have been imagined for a film plot.

AGAIN -- CARRIE LAM! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY CITY!



No comments:

Post a Comment