![]() |
| Only a handful of people were wearing masks at the gym while working out |
But I figured I had to check out the gym eventually to see what "the new normal" was.
Yesterday I left work a bit earlier than usual and got to the gym at 5.50pm. I had to have a temperature check and fill out an online health declaration form, which is now the norm for work and some restaurants and hotels. It's tedious, but it helps them trace people in case there is a positive case.
The changing room was relatively quiet which was good to see, so I got changed and went upstairs to the gym area, without a mask. In the cardio section, some treadmills had plastic partitions up, while others did not. Again not many people were using the machines, but I decided to pick one with the partitions.
![]() |
| Plastic dividers are placed in between treadmills for safety |
To ease back into my workout I ran at a slower pace than usual, and only 3K. Then I went to the stretching area and it was funny to see orange tape marks on the floor showing people where to put their mats. Again I went through some of the stretching and core exercises I do, but then as I was leaving to go downstairs back to the changing room, there were lots of people around at the weight machines, and in the cardio area. No social distancing was being practiced at all!
On top of that, the gym was promoting members to bring their friends in to try the gym! Hello! We're still in the midst of a pandemic here!
The locker area was now busy in the changing room, and again no effort made to separate people by blocking off lockers. Two women who hadn't seen each other in months complained the fitness classes they wanted to join only had a maximum of eight people and it was difficult to secure a spot...
Meanwhile the shower area was very quiet -- no one was using them. I occupied one that hadn't been used all day, but it was strange being the only person there when it is normally busy.
Afterwards I bumped into one of the female cleaning staff who I chat to when I'm there. She was surprised I didn't come back right away. I asked her how she was doing and she complained the first two weeks were boring because her bosses had told all the staff to stay at home for two weeks in the hopes of not catching the coronavirus.
Just seeing so many people at the gym by the time I left made me feel very uncomfortable -- as we were all not wearing masks except for the staff. Is this the right thing to do?
Today I recounted my experience with a colleague who went to his gym yesterday and he too was overwhelmed by how many members were there. He felt we didn't have much choice, as the weather is getting hotter and it's harder to exercise outside.
There was also news of a 66-year-old woman who hasn't had any recent travel history who was tested positive for the coronavirus, ending Hong Kong's 23-day streak of no local cases. Infectious disease experts worry there could be other positive cases, which begs the question of whether we should really be back to doing what we did before Covid-19 so soon...


No comments:
Post a Comment