Tuesday, 13 April 2021

Getting the Jab, and Lam's Thoughtless Announcement


The first vaccine shot finally done today!
 

Today's the day I finally got my first vaccination! It was supposed to happen April 2, but about a week before the BioNTech/Pfizer shots were stopped temporarily because of problems with packaging. 

The Hong Kong government has set up an online booking system which is straight forward, but not for elderly people who would need to depend on younger ones to help them make an appointment.

Nevertheless, the government promised those who had scheduled vaccinations for BioNTech would not have to reschedule their appointments again, and through a text message on my phone, I was informed mine was reset for April 20 and in a different location. I looked up on the website to see there were slots available in the location I had first requested -- and a week earlier on April 13 and rescheduled my appointment for then, as well as for three weeks later. 

A line of people waiting to get into the jab
I arrived 30 minutes early to the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park Sports Centre in Sai Ying Pun, and the staff there said it was fine to go in. We had to use the LeaveHomeSafe app to mark our appearance here before going upstairs to the gym that was not full but had many people in there. 

I showed them my text message and my Hong Kong ID card before being handed some information to read on the side effects from taking the vaccine. When we were ready we were then asked to sit in chairs numbered in order for a few minutes before transferring to the individual stations where nurses were administering the jabs.

Again she checked my HKID card, asked me several health questions, like if I had allergies to taking vaccines, seafood allergies, was I taking any medicine and so on. 

Then she swabbed the top of my arm, injected the vaccine (a tiny prick) and then it was done.

What a relief! Then I sat in a waiting area for 15 minutes. The nurse asked if I was feeling OK and then was allowed to leave.

More people waiting outside as I was leaving
When I got downstairs there was a line outside waiting to get in.

Many expats have praised the government for running such a smooth operation and also grateful to be able to get the vaccine for free. 

My second dose will be in three weeks, though some who have gotten it have reported mild to quite adverse reactions. Something to look forward to?

In any event, reaction to Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor's announcement yesterday about how restaurants should have 100 percent of staff and guests vaccinated, and that customers need to use the LeaveHomeSafe app have not gone down well with the that sector.

Some business owners said they were being put between a rock and a hard place, as they could not force their employees to get the jab, or insist that guests use the government-tracing app.

"As an employer, I feel like I am being put in a very difficult situation. The government seems to offer some ways to ease our plight. But in fact the new conditions are hard to implement and leave us with no choice," said Ray Chui Man-wai, chairman of the industry body institute of Dining Art.

Osborn has concerns about Lam's announcement
Those who fail to meet the requirements will have to continue only serving four to a table until 10pm, and allow customers to write down their contact information instead of using the phone app.

Chui is also chairman of Kam Kee Holdings, which owns about 36 restaurants and employs more than 800 staff. He said he could not force his employees to get vaccinated, adding only 10 percent of them have done so.

"Some staff may be reluctant to get the jab due to health concerns," he said. "If some of them refuse to get vaccinated, I cannot sack them as it is discriminatory.

"For diners, many old people or kids don't have a smartphone, should I turn them away simply because they can't install the government app? Also, many people resist using the app. I don't want to offend my customers and force them."

Another restaurant group owner added some staff are pregnant or have allergies and are unable to get vaccinated. It would be impossible for 100 percent of them to be vaccinated. 

Has Lam thought out her "vaccine bubble" idea?
Shane Osborn, an Australian chef and restaurateur chimed in, adding many families come to dine at his establishments, so did this mean they were not allowed to dine in? He also said the government is trying to reach 70 percent herd immunity, so why did restaurants have to have 100 percent?

Lam's announcement also didn't seem to receive any endorsements from health experts either, making it even more suspicious that her government acted alone on this without thinking it through carefully.

Wait a day or two and the government may have to backtrack on this silly announcement. The best thing to do would be to give HK$5K in cash to every person who is fully vaccinated. No one is keen on HK$5K in credit, that will only be distributed in denominations of HK$1K that must be fully used within a month before getting the next HK$1K.

The government is very good at logistics, but when it comes to enticing people to get jabs, it has no clue how to nudge them effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment