![]() |
| Fearing it is breaking the law, the museum has shut for now |
Following the visit of Food and Environmental Hygiene Department officers to the June Fourth Museum yesterday afternoon claiming the premises did not have an entertainment license, the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China announced it was closing the museum until further notice to seek legal advice and protect the safety of its staff and visitors.
![]() |
| FEHD officers visited the museum yesterday |
Richard Tsoi Yiu-cheong the alliance's secretary, said it was unlikely the museum would reopen in time for Friday, the 32nd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown.
"We still hope every citizen in Hong Kong can use their own way to commemorate June 4. We certainly think [if] we can maintain our strength at this particular critical moment, in the future we can definitely continue our struggle," Tsoi said.
An elderly man surnamed Ng tried to visit the museum today only to find it closed and said it was "regrettable".
"Every year I go to Victoria Park to attend the June 4th vigil. But I can't this year. So I thought I would visit the museum today to remember the event as I had time. But again I can't, it's very regrettable. June 4 is a big incident to Chinese people. I will never forget it. I hope the movement will be vindicated," he said.In the meantime Hong Kong is on a 40-day streak of zero local cases of Covid-19 and yet the public cannot gather outside in large numbers due to the pandemic. To ensure that doesn't happen, some 3,000 police officers will be hovering around Victoria Park in case anyone (in black) does something.
The inability to remember such an important event that has been openly marked for the past 31 years is hard to comprehend and accept.
It will only build more frustration and anger, simmering once again below the surface...



No comments:
Post a Comment