Sunday, 12 April 2020

More Fears of Positive Clusters

Lots of people hanging out by the waterfront today, with or without masks
Today there is something to be happy about -- Hong Kong recorded four new coronavirus cases, three of which were from abroad.

However, lots of people took advantage of the warmer weather and blue skies to again head out to the beaches and hiking trails...

And it turns out my new next door neighbour doesn't really understand social distancing either.

Many people went to Cheung Chau for Easter Sunday
Early this afternoon I heard the door open and a male voice say, "HEY!" and people came into the flat, and there was practically non stop laughing and joking. It seemed like a mixture of English and Cantonese.

As I had a feeling there would be lots of people out during the day, I purposely planned to go out after dinner for a walk. When I opened the door, I was shocked to see several pairs of shoes outside my neighbour's flat. Nine pairs to be exact.

My neighbour recently moved in, so this was probably a housewarming party, but why now, in the midst of a pandemic?

And while having a house party is not yet banned by the government, it is shocking to see people not making more of an effort to maintain social distancing.

Nine pairs of shoes outside my neighbour's flat...
I took a picture of the shoes and went out for a walk along the harbourfront. I noticed not as many people out tonight as usual, probably because they had already been out during the day, and also it was windier, making it more chilly.

After I came back, I told the man at the reception desk there was a house party next to my flat and showed him the picture of the shoes.

I told him he probably couldn't do anything about it, but I just want him to know. He took down notes.

Then I went into the elevator and when the doors opened to my floor, I was stunned to hear really loud music coming from my neighbour's flat.

But moments later, the music was shut off -- the man downstairs had probably contacted them to be quiet. As I write this blog they are still there, two hours after I complained...

While most Hongkongers are staying home most of the time, there are others who are selfish and still don't think the coronavirus pertains to them...

I just don't want to hear a week from now the Centre for Health Protection talking to reporters in the daily briefing about a cluster of positive cases next door to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment