Monday, 14 December 2020

Picture of the Day: Cranberry Sauce

Fresh cranberries ready to be turned into sauce...

Around this time I would be flying home to help my family prepare for Christmas by putting up the (plastic) tree and decorating it, wrapping presents, helping marinate and roast the turkey, and cooking the gravy and cranberry sauce (separately).

But that's not happening this year -- at least me being over there thanks to the raging pandemic.

The cranberries begin to "pop" from the heat
However, I have a thing for cranberries and saw a box of fresh cranberries for sale at Marks & Spencer and decided to try to make cranberry sauce to put on things like toast and yogurt.

After consulting my mom, I rinsed the cranberries and waited for them to "pop" from the heat and then add a bit of Chinese wine and some honey, as she warned me the cranberries are very sour. Ooh! She was right! I resorted to adding white sugar as well.

Not too long afterwards and lots of honey later, I had produced semi-sweet cranberry sauce!

I posted this on Instagram and a friend here who is renowned for his jam-making skills wondered if I was going to make jam.

Et voila! Here is my cranberry sauce ready to go
In response I said I would learn from him, the "jam master", but he deferred to the pastry chef at the Four Seasons Hong Kong as THE jam maker.

Maybe I'll get a lesson soon on how to make jam! Perhaps this will be my new thing to do during a pandemic?!

No comments:

Post a Comment