This is the first weekend where the stricter social-distancing measures have kicked in, and it was sad to see children's play areas covered with plastic tape preventing kids from using them, and the new water area in Causeway Bay was shut down, where people would have rented paddle boats.
So it's not surprising Hongkongers took to the hills and did some hiking. This morning I headed out to the Morning Trail that goes up to the Peak, going via Sai Ying Pun and walking up to the start at Kotewall Road.
| Kids are not allowed to play on the slides |
It was a nice day for a hike, not too hot but I was sweating enough to wear a T-shirt. And in 30 minutes I walked up to the playground area, with another 800 metres or so to reach the Peak Tower. After a quick bathroom break -- no line! -- I made a loop around the Peak, catching some of the stunning views before heading down the Morning Trail.
That's when I saw more people walking up, this time around 12.30pm. By the time I reached the beginning of Kotewall Road, there was a bus heading to Central and I managed to catch it before it left the terminus.
Meanwhile Hong Kong recorded 33 new cases, six of which are import-related.
| The new paddle boat area is closed |
There is now a second positive case related to the Witman Hung Wai-man birthday party. A 43-year-old woman who was not invited to the celebrations has tested positive, along with a confirmed case. The Centre for Health Protection's Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan is now concerned there are other partygoers who were not on the list but were at the event, who may be spreading Omicron in the community.
"There are hidden guests," Chuang said.
Then there is lawmaker Junius Ho Kwan-yiu who had a meltdown on his live stream video during his one day in quarantine, which was amusing but also elitist. He ranted that he was released and dropped off at Tsing Yi MTR station; if he had known he would have called his driver to pick him up. Maybe he forgot to pack his Octopus card along with his new clothes...
So much for Beijing's directive of having lawmakers being grassroots and attentive to the needs of local residents.
It is becoming clear that the government seems to think it's OK for people to eat lunch in restaurants because they have to work, but it's not OK for them to eat dinner because it's a leisure activity. The same goes for exercising in the gym and camping, but shopping is OK because it stimulates the economy...
No comments:
Post a Comment