 |
| Delicious plump and juicy clams stir-fried with garlic and white wine |
I'm really clueless when it comes to local eateries in Macau. The only ones I knew about previously were Fernando's in Hac Sa Beach and Club Militare behind Casino Lisboa.
So a friend who lives in Macau was shocked -- shocked -- that I didn't know about the old Taipa Village and had to rectify the situation by taking me to one of the restaurants there called A Petisqueria.
Old Taipa Village is right across from Galaxy Macau and up until July 1 this year, there was a dedicated shuttle bus taking visitors there. Currently there's road construction on in front of the casino complex, but it's basically just across the street.
 |
| The famous codfish cakes that were absolutely divine |
I visit Macau on average once every other month and it's to check out the latest happenings in the casino complexes, so I don't have much of an opportunity to see the real Macau.
Some 20 years ago I remember the quiet alleys (compared to now) and most of the tourists were other people from Hong Kong getting a bit of rest and relaxation on the weekend.
Nowadays it's choc a block pretty much everyday with mainlanders still coming to try their luck at the casino tables.
But back to A Petisqueria...
It's on the corner of Rua de S. Joao and Rua das Virtudes, and once you walk inside you're greeted by the head of a deer with giant antlers on the wall flanked by hanging garlic and then an archway decorated with fake grapes leading to the main dining area, that like Fernando's, has red-and-white checkered tablecloths and wooden chairs.
Locals like to come here, particularly those of Portuguese descent and so I was looking forward to a memorable meal.
Years ago, I used to go to O Manel but I don't like how built up Taipa has become, so avoid that area when I visit Macau.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite local restaurant in Macau is A Lorcha -- on the Macau Peninsula near the A Ma Temple. If it's full, you can head to the similar O Porto Interior or slightly more upscale Restaurante Litoral a few doors away.
I've long wanted to try the Clube Militar but was told that it's reservations only. Is that the case?
Hi YTSL -- I have been to A Lorcha eons ago and O Porto. Another friend of mine who works in Macau loves Antonio's so another place to check out!
DeleteAgain Clube Militar I went to many years ago for lunch and it was quiet and walked in. I don't think you need reservations unless it's a weekend...
Thanks for a mouth-watering report! It's so nice to know that the traditional family-owned restaurants, with something special and unique to offer can still survive in Macau, unlike in HK, where a handful of big landlords have virtually crushed all the wonderful old time restaurants out of existence. Will check out A Petisqueria on my next visit as it is now hard to find a good traditional paella anywhere these days!
ReplyDeleteHI Anonymous -- thanks for the reply! There are many of these restaurants in Macau -- you just need to know where to find them. If I hear of another one will blog about it here!
Delete