 |
| On the summit walking down towards Mui Wo with dramatic clouds above |
My friend
YTSL and I went hiking yesterday -- my first long hike! from Discovery Bay to Mui Wo. I wasn't quite sure what to expect and the fast-changing weather conditions were a primary concern.
 |
| Friendly scare crows greeted us on the way |
But after much persuasion on her part, we met up at the Central ferry pier for the 2pm ferry. The last time I was in Discovery Bay was when I first arrived in Hong Kong in the mid-90s and was invited to hang out at the Discovery Bay Golf Club with a family friend.
So this visit was a complete contrast to the posh, lazy day some -- yikes -- 18 years ago. After we arrived, we walked up a main road and then towards a beach area that was occupied by mostly Filippino squatters, living in questionable conditions. They seemed to collect whatever materials they could find to shelter themselves or find deserted huts and added paths on the grass with sheets of wood or collected discarded furniture or other items for use.
The local Chinese who lived there had their own small plots of land growing vegetables, some with creatively designed scarecrows. After we passed them, our hike began on a paved path that was gentle for the most part.
Six kilometers is not a long hike! :D
ReplyDeleteCool photos. I especially like the one of the many blue bugs on the green leaves. :)
6K is good enough for me!
ReplyDeleteBecause of you I look out for bugs!